Wednesday 5 May 2010

HTC Desire - Hit or Miss

I have recently moved from the Samsung Omnia i8950 HD to the HTC Desire and just wanted to share my experience.

Because of Android 2.1 and Sense UI the Desire looks very swish and now; this together with the Android Market Place (which is still lagging behind apple's equivalent) offers a huge array and variety of Apps which are mostly free. The phone offers live wall papers, voice search and input (admittedly after a bit of hacking), turn by turn direction with goggle maps, multi touch, pinch to zoom, and a 1 GHz Snapdragon processor.

The sad thing is that the Desire does not compare to the Omnia HD in terms call quality and usability. The speaker phone is diabolical, turn by turn directions are incomprehensible, the Sense UI interface is a fad . Flash content is buggy (in comparison to the Omnia HD using the Sky Fire App), the battery life is ridiculous - hardly a mobile phone as you need to carry your charger every where you go. No DivX or Xvid support (although they are rumours that this will be coming soon), and only 512MB ROM.

Being an Android/iPhone developer, I'm really disappointed; I was really looking forward to a cool Android phone that could really take on the likes of Symbian, iPhone OS and Bada. I'm giving this piece of junk back, reverting back to the Omnia HD my Android Dev phone and my 3Gs and waiting for either the iPhone 4g or something better.

6 comments:

  1. SkyFire use a server to render flash content,this means a lot of security risks,like personal data stored on an unsecured server.The Htc Desire renders the Flash content with it's CPU which is a huge avantage.There are in fact 576 Ram on the HTC Desire,And about the battery life..get an task manager from the market and the CPU controler.you cand get up to 3 days of use.This is the curse of multitasking on Android phones,it's a powerfull beast which must be brought under control.And with the Iphone Developer thing you seem like a apple fan bot to me,you only care about the smoothness of the Iphone while you turn a blind eye to it's big lack of features available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would you care about ROM size, eh?
    Also, I have _very_ good experience using this phone as a phone. Sound is loud and clear.
    As mentioned, battery life can be managed with little bit of effort.
    Sense UI is usable and good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same experience as Peter (last commenter). Works perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you need to fix your ear or something, i have no problem with the sound.
    With Android 2.2, there will be much faster web browsing and working flash player too, meanwhile apple can continue suck d.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had too the Omnia Hd before my Desire and I must say i am impressed....Desire is much more faster (on The Omnia HD i had Hyper X), browsing the internet is way better and the sense UI is cool....this is my opinion and i say it after i've used the both phones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way can u watch videoclips (flash content) within the browser with Omnia HD? I don't think so.....do not be upset...Omnia Hd is of course a great phone a better mutimedia device then Desire ( i admit) but....i will stick to my Desire now i think is better the Iphone and Omnia Hd......sorry for my english

    ReplyDelete